User:Dave/Web Hack Notes (Non-Wiki)
HELP FROM AROUND THE WEB
These notes began as an archive of resources listed on the humans.txt file for a particular website. The domain for that site was since hijacked by a domain squatter, but the resources listed here have proved useful for other web projects. The idea is to expand this page with other helpful resources for building simple web sites.
Web Design Tips & Resources
- Web Tools Weekly
- Web Tools Weekly is a front-end development and web design newsletter with a focus on tools.
- Webdesigner Depot
- Our goal is to share the latest and greatest findings, tips, and techniques for web designers and developers.
SEO, SEM, Search Engine Responsiveness
- Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool
- The Screaming Frog SEO Spider is a small desktop program you can install locally on your PC, Mac or Linux machine which spiders websites’ links, images, CSS, script and apps from an SEO perspective. It fetches key onsite elements for SEO, presents them in tabs by type and allows you to filter for common SEO issues, or slice and dice the data how you see fit by exporting into Excel. You can view, analyse and filter the crawl data as it’s gathered and updated continuously in the program’s user interface.
Static File Websites
- An Introduction to Static Site Generators
- This is a fantastic introduction in helping folks understand the advantages of static sites, particularly when there's no compelling advantage for maintaining the site on a dynamic architecture.
- What is a Static Website?
- What is a Static Website? Static websites are popular because they are super efficient, extremely fast and usually free to host. Blogs, resumes, marketing websites, landing pages, and documentation are all good candidates for static websites. Follow along as we visually walk-through the differences and benefits between a static vs dynamic website.
- Why You Should Build Your Website Using Static .html Files?
- Why would anyone want a static .html site with the options we have today in CMS products? Why would you go seemingly backwards to the old days of .html?
- - Performance
- - Security
- - HTML is portable!
- StaticGen: Top Open-Source Static Site Generators
- Static Site Generators
- "The definitive listing of Static Site Generators"
- Implementing a static website in Google App Engine
- Jekyll-Bootstrap is a full blog scaffold for Jekyll based blogs. Jekyll Generates Static Websites! To understand the differences and benefits of static vs dynamic websites, follow this quick visual tutorial.
Static File Website Hosting Hacks
- Also See: Git & Website Publishing
- Cheap or Free Static Website Hosting
Static Website Tools
- Staticman - Static sites with superpowers.
- Staticman handles user-generated content for you and transforms it into data files that sit in your GitHub repository, along with the rest of your content.
Version Control Systems
- Git --everything-is-local
- Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
Learn Git; GitHub
Pro Git (book) by Scott Chacon is available to read online for free.
- The entire Pro Git book, written by Scott Chacon and published by Apress, is available here. All content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 3.0 license.
- git - the simple guide
- just a simple guide for getting started with git. no deep shit ;)
- GitHub For Beginners (Part 1)
- Don't Get Scared, Get Started: http://readwrite.com/2013/09/30/understanding-github-a-journey-for-beginners-part-1
- GitHub is more than just a programmer's tool. If you want to collaborate on anything, you should give it a try. Part 1 of a two-part look at getting started with GitHub.
- GitHub For Beginners (Part 2)
- Commit, Push And Go: http://readwrite.com/2013/10/02/github-for-beginners-part-2
- Now that we know the concepts behind GitHub and Git, it's time to have fun. Part 2 of our two-part series.
Git & Website Publishing
- GitHub Pages - Websites for you and your projects.
- Hosted directly from your GitHub repository. Just edit, push, and your changes are live.
- Using GitHub Pages To Host Your Website
- This is an awesome tutorial explaining how to "commit" your web site's files from your computer to your GitHub repository. Makes hosting on GitHub super simple!
- GIT to deploy website (in 5 steps)
- How I moved my websites to Dropbox and GitHub
- Using Git to manage a web site
- A step-by-step tutorial from a website that is doing what the tutorial instructs.
- Git for Web Publishing
- Features instructions for updating Git on DreamHost.
Git-Enabled Website Publishing Services
- Git-Publish - Publish your webpage!
- Use your git repository to publish your website to your ftp-hosting provider.
- From FAQ:
- How much does it cost?
- Free as long as we are in beta, after this it will cost equally to a few cups of coffee per month.
CMS & Blog Platforms
- Drupal Commons
- Drupal Commons is a ready-to-use solution for building either internal or external communities. It provides a complete social business software solution for organizations.
- A Drupal Developer’s Setup on Windows
- Back up your site using the command line
- Upgrading from previous versions
- Upgrading Drupal using a Patch File
- (Used on the new ATA.org Drupal 7 installation.)
- Top 25 Drupal 7 Modules
- Backup and Migrate
- Display Suite Bootstrap Layouts
- Bootstrap - Photo Gallery
- Context allows you to manage contextual conditions and reactions for different portions of your site. For instance, you can group several "Beans" (blocks) into a particular Context if you want to consistently place the group on several nodes throughout the site.
- Bean is an acronym that stands for Block Entities Aren't Nodes.
- Drupal's block module is limited by the fact that a block can only have one instance. Each block has a 1:1 relationship with its region, weight, visibility (and other) settings. This means that it is impossible to have blocks in multiple regions or to have blocks that have different settings on different pages. MultiBlock module solves this problem by allowing you to create multiple Block Instances of already existing blocks.
- Block Group
- Tutorial: Drupal Tutorial : Block Groups And Bootstrap | WDTutorials.com
- Bootstrap Barrio
- Bootstrap Barrio is a sub-theme of the Bootstrap Theme, adding 1, 2 or 3 columns with configurable widths.
Drupal Theme Tutorials
- Bootstrap sub-theming "how to"
- How to Use Bootswatch Themes in Drupal 7
- Creating a sub-theme
- How to Customize a Contributed Drupal Theme
- Commons Wikis
- Provide the wiki functionality for Drupal Commons distribution.
See other wiki-like features for Drupal here:
Drupal - Drush
- A Beginner's Guide to Drush, the Drupal Shell
- A command line shell and scripting interface for Drupal.: http://drush.ws/
- Upgrade Drupal easily with Drush
- Updating Drupal Core with Drush
- Install Drush on Dreamhost VPS
- Drush commands reference
- BlogVault "The Ultimate WordPress Backup Service"
- Premium service with prices ranging from $9/month for one blog.
- WPBackItUp Backup & Restore
- Installed on http://sofiaangelina.com/ and http://lifemotion.com/.
- Creating a Static Front Page
- Enable and Disable Comments
- How to Show WordPress Pages on Your Homepage
- Docs to WordPress
- Easily move posts from Google Docs to WordPress.
- WordPress plugin: include custom fields in a post
- This handy site also contains links to a number of other useful tips 'n' tools, including CSV batch zipcode Lookup tool, Four things I wish someone had told me about wikis (WikiMedia) and more.
- WordPress Rockers: How To’s
- wordpress tips | tips & advice on wordpress.com blogs
- The Beginner's Guide to WordPress Multisite
WordPress Photo Galleries
- Twitter Bootstrap Galleries
- Wraps the content of a WordPress media gallery in a Twitter's Bootstrap grid.
- NextGEN Gallery
- NextGEN Gallery Shortcodes
- Shortcode API
- WordPress Page Design: Shortcodes v Page Templates
- Getting Started with WordPress Shortcodes (+Examples)
Wordpress & Social Media
- Top 10 Social Media Plugins for WordPress
- WordPress Instagram Plugins - Instagram Picture
- Instagram Picture
- Shortcode function example (English): http://tb-webtec.de/2013/10/instagram-picture-shortcode-function-example-english/
- WordPress Child Themes
- How to remove Proudly powered by WordPress from Twenty Eleven theme?
- Replace/Remove Default Header Image Twenty Eleven Theme
Flat File CMS Scripts
- Monstra is a modern and lightweight Content Management System. It is Easy to install, upgrade and use.
- Morfy is a simple, fast and light-weighted file-based Content Management System. Making the Web easy.
- A stupidly simple & blazing fast, flat file CMS. Making the web easy.
- File Based Content Management System - The file based CMS that allows you to build a website without the need for an SQL database, storing everything in flat files.
Lightweight CMS Scripts
- Bolt CMS - Sophisticated, Lightweight and Simple
- Bolt is an open source Content Management Tool, which strives to be as simple and straightforward as possible. It is quick to set up, easy to configure, uses elegant templates, and above all: It’s a joy to use.
- By default, Bolt is configured to use an SQLite database. You can configure the database, if you want to change this to MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- CMS Made Simple
- phpSQLiteCMS is a simple and lightweight open source web content management system (CMS) based on PHP and SQLite.
- SiteCake - Simple, drag and drop CMS for fast editing
- SiteCake is an open source PHP CMS application which allows a site admin to edit a website while browsing it. Once logged in, everything becomes editable. While in edit mode, SiteCake displays a "content editing bar" with options for inserting HTML elements like headers, lists, images, videos and other stuff like Google Maps or a slideshow. SiteCake is a true WYSIWYG. There is no separate admin section, you can click any page element and edit it in-place.
CMS Tools & Tricks
Google Docs as CMS
- Use Google Spreadsheets as your CMS! Create a Google Spreadsheet containing all the information you will need for your site. Demo Page
CSS Grids & Frameworks
- Bootstrap > CSS
- How to Customize the Default Bootstrap Style, the Right Way
- Create a new file in your Bootstrap CSS folder and call it custom.css. Then in the
<head>portion of your website, load your new custom CSS file after the default bootstrap stylesheet.
- 11 Reasons to Use Twitter Bootstrap
- Bootstrap Templates - Free HTML Starter Templates for Bootstrap
- Bootstrap Image Gallery
- Design elements, playground and code snippets for Bootstrap HTML/CSS/JS framework
- Bootstrap Contact Form
- How to make a contact form with Bootstrap 3 ? (JQuery/PHP/HTML5/JqBootstrapValidation)
- How to create a PHP, Bootstrap 3 Contact Form which works with blogger and any other platform
- 5 Bootstrap CSS - Tables - JSFiddle
Bootstrap Drag & Drop Tool
- LayoutIt! BETA
- Create your frontend code simple and quickly with Bootstrap using our Drag & Drop Interface Builder.
- CSS Wizardry
- Emastic - css framework
- Responsive Grid System
- Sass - Syntactically Awesome Stylesheets
- Web Experience Toolkit (WET)
- Collaborative open source project led by the Government of Canada
- Features kudos from leading "industry experts."
- Responsive web forms for your CSS grid project.
Tips, Tricks & Reading Material for CSS Grids & Frameworks
- Don’t Overthink It Grids
- CSS Fluid Image Techniques for Responsive Site Design
- “Responsive design” is not a single technology but a set of techniques that allow web pages to serve the needs of both mobile and desktop users.
- The core components are:
- - CSS @media queries
- - Fluid images and video
- - Server-side solutions
- - SVG to create resolution-free images
- Responsive Design with CSS3 Media Queries
- This tutorial will show you how to create a cross-browser responsive design with HTML5 & CSS3 media queries.
- Understanding the viewport meta tag, CSS @viewport and making an automatic link to your app
- Viewport Meta Tag For Non-Responsive Design
- What is Responsive Web Design?
- HTML5 Quick Tutorial
- HTML5 Page Structure
- The HTML5 Page Structure
- HTML5 Page Structure
- HTML5 Doctor, helping you implement HTML5 today
- HTML 5 Outliner
- Document Outlines
- Sections and Outlines of an HTML5 Document
- HTML5 And The Document Outlining Algorithm
- Fragment identifier (Wikipedia)
- In URIs for MIME text/html pages such as http://www.example.org/foo.html#bar the fragment refers to the element with id="bar".
- HTML element reference
- Mozilla Developer Network
- HTML 5: Is it <br>, <br/>, or <br />?
- CSS Techniques – Absolute Horizontal And Vertical Centering In CSS
- Multiple Columns Layout (Magazine-alike) With CSS3
- Using CSS multi-column layouts
- 3D CSS Text
- overflow-x, overflow-y tests
- W3C CSS3 working draft: The 'overflow-x' and 'overflow-y' properties.
Also see CSS Layout Tricks.
- different title, keyword and description in every page's
- The php5 object oriented web design howto > Functions and classes > A page class
- What is the function __construct used for?
- Custom Page Titles with PHP Includes
- How to automatically include your header, navigation, and footer on every page
- Using the PHP Include Function to Template Faster
- WebDeveloper.com > Server-Side Development > PHP > php include question - bad practice?
- Flawed tips but useful in working out the basic idea of calling
footerand other page elements from a single file.
- Flawed tips but useful in working out the basic idea of calling
- WebDeveloper.com > Server-Side Development > PHP > Page title from include php file??
- Case Study--How to Customize a JumpStart
- (This tutorial is mainly pushing JumpStart web templates, but offers some useful tips on includes placement.
Server Side Includes (SSI)
Do you want to create a static file website with simple HTML files and no database? Do you still want to include the common info bits (menus, footers, site maps, etc.) without having to write them on every web page? If so, SSI can be your friend.
- Server Side Includes
- Includes a table showing lots of great examples.
- Apache Tutorial: Introduction to Server Side Includes
- Server-side includes provide a means to add dynamic content to existing HTML documents.
- How to Setup HTML Server Side Includes SSI on Apache and Nginx
- Includes instructions on configuring .htaccess file for SSI.
- Apache - Server Side Includes
- This page describes the functionality offered by, and the use of, Apache Server Side Includes (SSI and XSSI).
- How do I conditionally handle undefined SSI variables using Apache?
- Describes how to use SSI variable settings to automatically include page title.
- Parse shtml as SSI, but also include PHP using .htaccess
- Shows modification to .htaccess file that will also allow php includes to be parsed.
- An Introduction to Server Side Includes (SSI)
- SSIs, or Server Side Includes, are a way to tell the server to insert something into a web page before it is sent to the viewer. What is inserted may be the content of a plain text file or it may be the output generated by another program running on the server such as the processing of a form return using a PERL script.
- BigNoseBird.Com's Server Side Include Page (SSI)
- Includes links to tutorials on Enabling SSI on Your Server, Performance Considerations, The ECHO Directive, The INCLUDE Directive, The EXEC and VIRTUAL Directives, Nested Directives, A Real Back Button, eXtended SSI Directives PART I & eXtended SSI Directives PART II.
SHTML & SSI
- What is SHTML?
- SHTML is an HTML file that includes server instructions or server side includes and is similar to an ASP file.
- What is SHTML
- SHTML is a file extension that lets the web server know the file should be processed as using Server Side Includes (SSI). It's embedded in a standard XML comment, and looks like this:
<!--#include virtual="top.shtml" -->
- Create a centred horizontal navigation
- Horizontally Centered Menus with no CSS hacks
Moved content to new article: Social Networking Tips.
- Character Entity Reference Chart
- HTML Codes Table—Characters and symbols
Online Encoding Tools
- Convert special characters to HTML
- HTML Encoder / Decoder
- HTML encoder
- HTML Character Entity Converter
- HTML 4.01 Entities
Character Encoding Help Resources & How-Tos
- PHP -- Convert special characters to HTML character codes
- Converting special characters to HTML entities between code tags
- The Road to HTML 5
- character encoding: http://blog.whatwg.org/the-road-to-html-5-character-encoding
- Curling Quotes in HTML, SGML, and XML
- HTML Symbol Entities Reference
Htaccess is a very ancient configuration file that controls the Web Server running your website, and is one of the most powerful configuration files you will ever come across.
.htaccess Tricks & Tutorials
- Htaccess - THE Ultimate .htaccess Guide
- The Ultimate Guide to .htaccess Files
- The Definitive Guide to htaccess Techniques
- Do’s and Don’ts: http://www.noupe.com/php/htaccess-techniques.html
- Comprehensive guide to .htaccess
- Stupid htaccess Tricks
.htaccess 301 Redirects
- The Ultimate How-To Guide on 301 Redirects
- .htaccess 301 redirect from old domain to new domain while structure of pages and url are same
- .htaccess rewrite to redirect root URL to subdirectory
- .htaccess Editor
- Easily create .htaccess file with this handy online .htaccess creation tool.
- MediaWiki ShortURL Builder
- .htaccess redirect
- Free .htaccess Redirect Generator
Prettier URLs Through .htaccess
One way to clean up the URL on each of your site's web pages is to hide its file extension (
You can also append a trailing forward slash, just like many of the major CMSs do.
- Instead of:
- You get:
- Removing file extension via .htaccess
- Hide file extensions, add trailing slash with .htaccess
- How to remove .php, .html, .htm extensions with .htaccess
- Includes instructions on adding a trailing forward slash.
Images & Image Handling
- The figure & figcaption elements
- Good explanation for incorporating the
HTML5elements in images, drawings and other graphical assets.
Tools & Tricks
- Aspect Ratio Calculator
- Bulk Resize Photos
- Image Size Calculator
- Converts inches to pixels & pixels to inches.
- Perfect Full Page Background Image
- Absolute Center (Vertical & Horizontal) an Image
- Free high quality images you can use anywhere.
- An open source icon set with 223 marks in SVG, webfont and raster formats. Lots of great little icons.
Online Image Editors
- Photo editor online - Pixlr.com edit image
- Converts your raster images to vector graphics. Free online raster images vectorizer. No registration, no email necessary.
- Handy Tweaks To Make GIMP Replace Photoshop
- Gimp Tutorial – How to make an image background transparent
- This tutorial is a bit easier to follow than the one shown below.
- How to make a transparent background/selection on an image using GIMP
- Replacing a Foreground with The GIMP
- Convert a simple image to a vector graphic using GIMP and Inkscape
- Inkscape tutorial: Tracing
- Increase Image Resolution
- Convert Raster Images to Vector: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/convert-images-to-svg-format-with-inkscape/
- Rich EPS file editing with Inkscape
- How to make blinking/flashing text with css3?
- How to make text blink on website? [duplicate]
3rd Party File Hosting
The basic idea is to host images, PDFs and other large files on a publicly available directory, like Dropbox, Flickr, Picasa, HiDrive, etc. Alternatively, you can set up a Dropbox-like directory using an open source tool like SparkleShare (see below).
- Drop Your Dropbox and SparkleShare Instead!
- "Setting up your own host to work with SparkleShare is relatively easy." (An open source option for creating your own Dropbox-like service.)
- BitTorrent’s Secure Dropbox Alternative Goes Public
- BitTorrent Sync (available from BitTorrent Labs) is free of charge and allows people to securely sync folders to multiple devices using the BitTorrent protocol.
External Image Hosting
Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Sites
Attempted to link to an image hosted on Google Docs (image shown above). Sharing set to "public." Google's URI scheme looks a bit odd (seems to mask the file name and file type). The problematic part (in terms of linking to these images from a web site) is that Google appears to change the URI itself at least once a day.
- Two Days; Two URIs
- Saturday, January 7th, 2012: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/WdO0VUUc8ub2WXodixyWzkcR8d-jb1PQyV7KAK7MuzGX9CHQd0dSTGAqtEzAqCGUgWIv-b02usw15VJpXzY-m-irnXstDwFgDGo=w1600
- Sunday, January 8th, 2012: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/OgqPCdV7Nx5OkhswTNlxyTzOc4rdcjHlGWZerNiyBAzfYy5BIoD_LxmSLRVtauFE1FKixm0KLu6u-uJxDo5b8aJyf_giJ2Gcqlw=w1600
Image Placeholder Service
- lorempixel - Placeholder images for every case.
- Placeholder Images for every case. Webdesign or Print. Just put a custom url in your html and you receive a proper placeholder picture.
- PLACEHOLD.IT - A quick and simple image placeholder service.
- Color Names Supported by All Browsers
Jump Links, Internal Anchors
- Internal Links
- Instead of having to resort to the arduous task of scrolling down long pages, you can make your readers very happy by offering them page jumps as an alternative mode of transport around your site. As people have become lazier, page jumps have risen in popularity, so to avoid having your site unliked by the youth of today, implement these simple navigational aids.
Relative & Absolute Links
- Why relative URLs should be forbidden for web developers
- Relative URLs stink. They really do. All sorts of SEO problems on the web are caused by the use of relative URLs in links, canonicals and more.
Footnotes & Endnotes
- Accessible footnotes with HTML and CSS
- Handling footnotes and references in HTML
- This post examines what options one has for handling footnotes and references in HTML. It then presents a library that helps you with handling them.
Links To Google & Gmail Resources
Link To Specific Gmail Message
- All Email Messages in Gmail Have a Permanent Web Address
- Do you know that it is possible to bookmark individual email messages of Gmail just like you would bookmark any regular web page. (Links to your Gmail messages will only resolve if you're logged into your Google account when you click on the link.)
How To Link To Specific Google Books Page
Find the base URL to the Google Book you want to link to. Add the page number just after the book ID like in the example highlighted below.
- UPDATE: The link shown above no longer links directly to the specific page it once did (135), but resolves to a
- CAUTION: Google apparently changes its URI structure without warning. For example, the link to the book / page shown above was formerly written like the one shown below (which now only resolves to the book's main Google Books description page).
How To Link To Google Calendar Event
- Is it possible to link to specific date on a public Google Calendar?
URI Formats - (Change the yyyymmdd setting shown in the examples to the specific date you want to link to.)
Link to a date on your private calendar:?(must update)
Link to an event on a your public calendar:
- (Obviously, update date range and time zone accordingly.)
Other Google Link Resources
- Google Books API Family: Static Links
Google Account Document Sharing Options
- Sharing a Google Doc with a non-Google user
TLS & SSL
- Let’s Encrypt
- Let’s Encrypt is a new Certificate Authority: It’s free, automated, and open.
- Let’s Encrypt is a new free certificate authority, built on a foundation of cooperation and openness, that lets everyone be up and running with basic server certificates for their domains through a simple one-click process. Major sponsors include the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the Mozilla Foundation, Akamai, and Cisco. On April 9, 2015, the ISRG and the Linux Foundation announced their collaboration.
Let’s Encrypt on DreamHost
- “HTTPS Everywhere!”
- Let’s Encrypt is at the forefront of an Internet sea change. Firefox and Chromium are both proposing the deprecation of unencrypted HTTP, which means that any user of your website will see a warning unless you have a TLS certificate.
- CAcert.org is a community-driven Certificate Authority that issues certificates to the public at large for free. CAcert's goal is to promote awareness and education on computer security through the use of encryption, specifically by providing cryptographic certificates. Any application that supports the Secure Socket Layer Protocol (SSL or TLS) can make use of certificates signed by CAcert. If you want to have free certificates issued to you, join the CAcert Community.
- An automatic client for enabling HTTPS on your website. Automatically enable HTTPS on your website with EFF's Certbot, deploying Let's Encrypt certificates.
- The OpenSSL Project is a collaborative effort to develop a robust, commercial-grade, full-featured, and Open Source toolkit implementing the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocols as well as a full-strength general purpose cryptography library.
- StartCom (Provider of StartSSL™.)
- StartSSL™ provides free digital identities called OpenID. StartSSL™ Open Identity eliminates the need for multiple usernames across different websites, simplifying your online experience.
Web-Based Productivity Apps
Web Site Builders & Online Designers
Online Website Designers & Builders
- The Grid
- Founding Member "Advantages" Include:
- - 1 year pre-paid subscription
- - Subscription begins v1 release, late Spring 2015
- - Locked-in rate of $8/month (regularly $25)
- - 7 Sites, custom domains OK
- - Pretty much unlimited contributors, storage and bandwidth
- - Commerce engine, due late 2015, cost-based fees only
- - Grid NFC Token (limited gold edition)
- - $96 / yearYearly payment
- Sign up. Forever free. Join over 200,000 web designers. Create professional, responsive websites. Without any code. Webflow is a professional site builder for designing websites from scratch. You can also start from one of our gorgeous templates.
- Website Builders Comparison Chart
- Compares the following services:
Web Server & Hosting
DIY Home Web Server
- Set Up a Home Server
- Setting up a home server running an open-source operating system is a popular and useful activity.
- How to set up a safe and secure Web server
- Learn a lot by doing it yourself instead of going with a hosting company.
- Build a Linux Home Web Server For Under $250
- Amahi Home Server - Making Home Networking Simple
- Amahi is software that runs on a dedicated PC as a central computer for your home.
- See Amahi's Wiki for setting up a home web server: https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website
Dynamic DNS (DDNS)
- How to Enable Dynamic Service for Your domain name.
- Dynamic DNS service is used to keep a domain name pointing to the same computer or server connected to the internet despite the fact that the address (IP address) of the computer keeps changing. This service is useful to anyone who wants to operate a server (web server, mail server, ftp server, irc server etc) connected to the internet with a dynamic IP or to someone who wants to connect to an office computer or server from a remote location with software such as pcAnywhere.
- Dynamic DNS with your own domain name (for free!)
- Want to buy an Internet IPv4 address? Cheap?
- Companies are beginning to sell IPv4 addresses as the IPv4 address pool finishes drying up.
Web Hosts: Free
- The Simplest and Cheapest Free Web Hosting Services
Web Hosts (Cloud & VPS): Paid
- One-Click Applications help simplify your workload. Pricing similar to DigitalOcean.
- Features 20GB solid-state hard drive (SSD) + 512MB memory for just $5 a month.
- Technical FAQ
- How To Launch Your Site on a New Ubuntu 12.04 Server with LAMP, SFTP, and DNS
- How To Create Your First DigitalOcean Droplet Virtual Server
- An Introduction to Securing your Linux VPS
- Multiple domains on the same droplet
- Guidelines to setup a perfect Digital Ocean VPS
- Scroll down about a 3rd of the way to get to list of tutorials.
- DreamHost VPS Hosting
- DreamHost configuration fixes
- - http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DreamHost_PS_Troubleshooting
- - http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PS_Optimization
- - http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Preventing_hotlinking
- - http://wiki.dreamhost.com/XCache
- - http://xcache.lighttpd.net/wiki/Introduction
- - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Robots.txt
Google Cloud Platform
- Google Cloud Platform
- "Build applications and websites, store data, and analyze data on Google’s infrastructure."
- High-performance cloud servers deployed instantly. Built on innovative Linux containers technology, loved by developers. Simple pay-as-you-go pricing!
- Best Cloud Hosting
Web Hosting Control Panels
If you set up your own server, it might be helpful to have the assistance of a GUI control panel.
- Comparison of web hosting control panels
- The Definitive Thread on Open Source Control Panels/ cPanel Alternatives
- Part I: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/the-definitive-thread-on-open-source-control-panels-cpanel-alternatives-part-i
- "ZPanel is a free and complete web hosting control panel for Microsoft® Windows™ and POSIX (Linux, UNIX and MacOSX) based servers. ZPanel is written in PHP and uses several open-source (or freely available) software packages to provide a secure, web hosting system."
Tools & Resources
- 10 Free and Useful Tools for Web Designers
- Some of the tools mentioned include:
- - Infinite Slider: https://kinsta.com/infinite-slider/ (A WordPress slider plugin.)
- - ImageOptim: https://imageoptim.com/ (Optimize image size for web. Open source.)
- - Google Web Designer: http://www.google.com/webdesigner/ (Create engaging, interactive HTML5-based designs and motion graphics that can run on any device.)
- Piwik - Free (& Open Source) Web Analytics Software
Browser & Mobile Device Testers
- Chrome DEVTOOLS Device Mode & Mobile Emulation
- Device mode brings the insights of mobile testing to your browser tab through the power of mobile emulation.
- Test your websites in smartphone & tablet emulators.
- Search engines including Bing, Google, Yahoo! and Yandex rely on this markup to improve the display of search results, making it easier for people to find the right Web pages. Many sites are generated from structured data, which is often stored in databases. When this data is formatted into HTML, it becomes very difficult to recover the original structured data. Many applications, especially search engines, can benefit greatly from direct access to this structured data. On-page markup enables search engines to understand the information on web pages and provide richer search results in order to make it easier for users to find relevant information on the web. Markup can also enable new tools and applications that make use of the structure.
- After the Deadline
- After the Deadline is a language checker for the web with:
- - Contextual Spell Checking
- - Advanced Style Checking
- - Intelligent Grammar Checking
- Find out what websites are Built With
- Color Hex Color Codes
- DIFF CHECKER
- Can't remember exactly what changes you made to that html file? Let DIFF CHECKER come to the rescue.
Another online Diff Checker is: QuickDiff.com: http://www.quickdiff.com/
- An Online Tool to do a 'quick and dirty' diff of two text or code fragments.
- Hacked Website Cleanup Tools Extension
- HeadJS -- The Only Script In Your <HEAD> -- A tiny script that speeds up, simplifies and modernizes your site.
- Load scripts like images. Use HTML5 and CSS3 safely. Target CSS for different screens, paths, states and browsers. Make it the only script in your HEAD. A concise solution to universal issues.
- ID Your Body For Greater CSS Control and Specificity
- if this then that
- Automated triggers for various web and internet related tasks.
- Online Email Obfuscator
- PURLs (Persistent Uniform Resource Locators) are Web addresses that act as permanent identifiers in the face of a dynamic and changing Web infrastructure.
- Text Mechanic™ - Text Manipulation Tools
- A collection of free, online, browser-based, text manipulation tools.
- Use PHP to insert an automatic “last modified” date into web pages
- What Beautiful HTML Code Looks Like
- What is humans.txt?
- When can I use...
- Compatibility tables for support of HTML5, CSS3, SVG and more in desktop and mobile browsers.
- Your Web, documented · WebPlatform.org
- HTML5 Development Center
- Resources and Tools: http://www.sitepoint.com/tag/html5-dev-center/
- All The Tools I Used to Rebuild the DMAD Website
- Brief mentions of lots of useful tools, including...
- - BootstrapWP Bootstrap theme for WordPress.
- - CSS-Tricks
- - Yoast WordPress SEO Plugin
- - Advanced Custom Fields - Custom fields. Made easy. Use the Advanced Custom Fields plugin to take full control of your edit screens & custom field data.
- ... and more.
- Career Portfolio Tips
- Computer Productivity Hacks
- Data Analysis
- Mobile Apps
- Office Productivity Hacks
- Social Networking Tips
- Spreadsheet Tricks
- .US Locality Domains
- User:Dave/Admin Notes
- User:Dave/CV Sandbox
- User:Dave/Wikis In The Enterprise